PLOS NTDs Year in Review
2020 was a year of growth for PLOS NTDs. We welcomed over 135 new editors and published important research that made an impact in the global Covid-19 conversation. Discover journal updates, a message from the Editors-in-Chief, top papers, and more.
Countries represented by submitting authors
This year, we continued to receive and publish the latest research on neglected tropical diseases. Read some of our most-cited publications from 2020.
- Mental health problems and social media exposure during COVID-19 outbreak
- Association of radiologic findings with mortality of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China
- Data-based analysis, modelling and forecasting of the COVID-19 outbreak
- Prevalence, Severity and Mortality associated with COPD and Smoking in patients with COVID-19: A Rapid Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Forecasting the novel coronavirus COVID-19
“The journal continues to prosper. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases not only now wears a sported new color palette and look, the editorial board expanded substantially, with numerous additional Deputy Editors and Associate Editors (a 158% increase in Deputy Editors!), along with a new co-EiC. Expansions in the scope of the journal, and clearly expanded interest from the scientific community and, in spite of the pandemic-enforced disruption, have seen a marked increase in submitted manuscripts. As of December 2020, PLOS NTDs received 1,787 submissions and has published 783 papers.
We take pleasure in this opportunity to acknowledge the contributors — authors, reviewers, and editors — for the input and dedication to our (journal) community, and to thank them for their dedication to the neglected tropical diseases community. These efforts have ensured that this has been a fruitful year at the journal, despite the obvious Covid19 related impediments. We look forward to continued advances and success in the new year.”
New Deputy Editors
Guest Editors promoted to Associate Editors
New Associate Editors
This year, we officially welcomed Paul Brindley as co-Editor-in-Chief in January!
Paul is a delight to work with and we are very happy to have him.
You can read the official announcement here.
The journal received a swell of COVID-19 manuscripts and we are so grateful to the editors and reviewers for their work on expediting these papers as much as possible.
We maintained a bond with WHO during this time, sending WHO copies of original research as we received it, and encouraged authors to post preprints where appropriate.
We virtually attended ASTMH/Trop Med this year and enjoyed seeing many of our editors’ sessions. We plan to incorporate much of what we learned from the community for 2021. Read about our conference experience here.
We are looking forward to 2021, and have some exciting things planned, including:
- A brand new Editor Center, to house editor resources and information
- A revamped Front Matter section, led by former Editor-in-Chief Serap Aksoy
- Bringing on even more editors at all levels
Want more updates from PLOS NTDS?
Ready to share new research in 2021?